West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
.......Why do I have a vision of Ron going to this block and chauffeuring all the sharp edges to remove another 1.25 lbs.

At first I did not think that you would EVER out do your Demon but this car is going to be just plain NUTS!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: RyanJ] #449291
12/10/09 09:12 PM
12/10/09 09:12 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
Quote:

Quote:

i guess no W series heads will bolt on now...?

that is alot of milling...

those bell house openings wont effect sfi...
as far as trans,flexplate,converter?
I realise it will let heat out..but if there is a trans failure..it migh fubar the block...?
(mount hole pads..)

did you do the lifer bores /* ..or where they already done...?

cheaspt.

There are pics of the 10 bolt INDY heads on page 5....

This was a tall deck "673" 48 degree block, so the lifter bores were already machined if that is what you are asking, although I do have capability to put lifter bores in a blank bore block, in fact I just did one for a dirt track racer last month.

I've done the window milling on the bellhousing to alot of blocks, in fact some of the 9" deck Nascar R3 blocks came W/ window mills from MP & were ran in Nascar competition like that. Have never heard anyone question their safety.

Cooll thanks for the reply..
Ryan ..those lifter bores are in pretty good position when shipped,?
you dont have to address anything there?
i was just wondering on the windows..not bashing..just ...i am used to carnage from time to time. lol.....wonder it that might factor..?

so i guess your putting in a pool at the house after all this ?

just having fun..
keep up the good work...
cheapst.

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #449292
12/11/09 11:26 AM
12/11/09 11:26 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
I am not worried about those windows in the back of the block in any respect. Not torsional strength or bridge strength. If you really think about it you will realize this is not an issue.

I plan on polishing/cleaning the areas around the openings and putting some of that HVAC metal (aluminum) tape over them and then painting right over them for a stealth look. You will not even know they are there.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: Ron Silva] #449293
12/11/09 08:51 PM
12/11/09 08:51 PM
Central,Ohio
FASTFISH420 Offline
mopar
FASTFISH420  Offline
mopar

Central,Ohio

Sorry I missed that post..

I wondered because I work on them from time to time..and as we speak I am doing a engine upgrade on one with 1200 miles right now..

but you are right..not one runs the same..it is the same with vipers also..I was told by a chrysler engineer that vipers will vary by 50hp...

sorry to hijack the thread...

1969 Barracuda 8 second all/motor small block 2014 Shelby GT500 Mustang Uratchko Racing Engines www.URE-RACING.com
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: RyanJ] #449294
12/12/09 04:16 AM
12/12/09 04:16 AM
Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
D
DakFink Offline
mopar
DakFink  Offline
mopar
D

Texas Afghanistan Iraq etc.
Quote:

Quote:

I realise it will let heat out..but if there is a trans failure..it migh fubar the block...?
(mount hole pads..)

cheaspt.

This was a tall deck "673" 48 degree block, so the lifter bores were already machined if that is what you are asking, although I do have capability to put lifter bores in a blank bore block, in fact I just did one for a dirt track racer last month.

I've done the window milling on the bellhousing to alot of blocks, in fact some of the 9" deck Nascar R3 blocks came W/ window mills from MP & were ran in Nascar competition like that. Have never heard anyone question their safety.

Ryan,

I tried to e-mail twice BUT it got kicked back both times. Used the RyanJ and info@ adresses. I would call but I am in Iraq.

I was wondering how much it would be for the lightening program (I have a TallDeck Siamesed R-3) and also do you have anything for lightening the W9-RP heads any more than they are.

Do you think there as any questionable areas that might need to be addressed in the lightening of a Block that is going to be used with twin-turbos. Probably 25-30psi boost?

If you like e-mail me at dakfink@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Kenny

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: DakFink] #449295
12/12/09 09:31 AM
12/12/09 09:31 AM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(mount hole pads..)

cheaspt.

Ryan,

I tried to e-mail twice BUT it got kicked back both times. Used the RyanJ and info@ adresses. I would call but I am in Iraq.

I was wondering how much it would be for the lightening program (I have a TallDeck Siamesed R-3) and also do you have anything for lightening the W9-RP heads any more than they are.

Do you think there as any questionable areas that might need to be addressed in the lightening of a Block that is going to be used with twin-turbos. Probably 25-30psi boost?

Thanks,
Kenny

Hey Kenny,

Thanks for what you do for this country. My brother is there with you.

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: DakFink] #449296
12/12/09 12:44 PM
12/12/09 12:44 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(mount hole pads..)

cheaspt.

Ryan,

Thanks,
Kenny

I'll email you some pricing on lightening an R3.... it's probably not as expensive as some may think... We are just bit more than what Dart gets to do their Little M blocks & we get almost double the weight out they do (granted the MP blocks have alot more excess metal to move than the Dart blocks but, $ per lb we are way cheaper)

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: RyanJ] #449297
12/12/09 02:33 PM
12/12/09 02:33 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Ryan, I know you already told me in a PM "Took us 16 hours on the CNC but we managed to take your block from 232 lbs down to 178.5 lbs. Keep in mind a stock 340 is around 162-165 lbs.... this is by far the lightest Tall deck R3 I've seen." But how much of that record lightness is from the large bore size? In other words if this was 4.00" bore what do think it would weigh?

Also, if you decked this block to minimum deck, which I think is 9.200" how much do you think it would take off? I was told you can take off #40 by max decking a block like this, but I am thinking more like #25. Maybe if it was cast for a 9.00 deck and machined to that height it would be #40 lighter than a tall deck.

Ron.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: Ron Silva] #449298
12/13/09 12:58 PM
12/13/09 12:58 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

Ryan, I know you already told me in a PM "Took us 16 hours on the CNC but we managed to take your block from 232 lbs down to 178.5 lbs. Keep in mind a stock 340 is around 162-165 lbs.... this is by far the lightest Tall deck R3 I've seen." But how much of that record lightness is from the large bore size? In other words if this was 4.00" bore what do think it would weigh?

Also, if you decked this block to minimum deck, which I think is 9.200" how much do you think it would take off? I was told you can take off #40 by max decking a block like this, but I am thinking more like #25. Maybe if it was cast for a 9.00 deck and machined to that height it would be #40 lighter than a tall deck.

Ron.

9.20's & 9.0 R3's used a seperate Casting from MP.

It's been a long time since I decked an R3 hard, I know we did one maybe 3 years ago & took around .300" for some reason, don't remember what it was for. Do remember we used a large shell mill on the CNC to knock the first .250" off & did the rest with the surfacing head to cut down time. You try to take .250" + off an iron block in an old Vulcan block surfacer & you can spend 2+ days doing one. CNC did it in hour & half? I have never really spent alot of time checking weight differences on decked blocks, but do recall doing a semi lighten job on a 9.0 block one time & it was around 185 lbs. Again, the deck on a 9.0 block is not much thinner than a 9.56 block since it is a dedicated casting..... Deck on a 9.56 is around .800" thick. You could deck one down around 9.20 no issues... & certainly that would remove good chunk of weight. You get into the shorter deck stuff & intake manifold availability is biggest issue for non W7/8/9 heads.

As for your bore question, 4.0" bore is pretty darn small, not many run that small, particularly in a Siamese block because cyl walls are so thick they can retain a ton of heat @ small bore. Most Siamese bores are ran @ 4.155" or bigger....however to answer your question.... Cylinder bores are 6" long on a tall deck SB Chrysler, & you'd be removing .105" all way around to take 4.0 to 4.21 like yours..... So that is basically very similar dimensionally to a cylinder bore sleeve... To be honest I have never weighed one, as I've never had a reason to?, but out of curiosity I will weigh a Melling sleeve this week & see what it weighs. That will be quick easy way to tell how much weight is removed in going from something in the "normal" 4.0-4.07 range up to 4.20+ bore.

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: RyanJ] #449299
12/13/09 01:10 PM
12/13/09 01:10 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Ron.

9.20's & 9.0 R3's used a seperate Casting from MP.

It's been a long time since I decked an R3 hard, I know we did one maybe 3 years ago & took around .300" for some reason, don't remember what it was for. Do remember we used a large shell mill on the CNC to knock the first .250" off & did the rest with the surfacing head to cut down time. You try to take .250" + off an iron block in an old Vulcan block surfacer & you can spend 2+ days doing one. CNC did it in hour & half? I have never really spent alot of time checking weight differences on decked blocks, but do recall doing a semi lighten job on a 9.0 block one time & it was around 185 lbs. Again, the deck on a 9.0 block is not much thinner than a 9.56 block since it is a dedicated casting..... Deck on a 9.56 is around .800" thick. You could deck one down around 9.20 no issues... & certainly that would remove good chunk of weight. You get into the shorter deck stuff & intake manifold availability is biggest issue for non W7/8/9 heads.

As for your bore question, 4.0" bore is pretty darn small, not many run that small, particularly in a Siamese block because cyl walls are so thick they can retain a ton of heat @ small bore. Most Siamese bores are ran @ 4.155" or bigger....however to answer your question.... Cylinder bores are 6" long on a tall deck SB Chrysler, & you'd be removing .105" all way around to take 4.0 to 4.21 like yours..... So that is basically very similar dimensionally to a cylinder bore sleeve... To be honest I have never weighed one, as I've never had a reason to?, but out of curiosity I will weigh a Melling sleeve this week & see what it weighs. That will be quick easy way to tell how much weight is removed in going from something in the "normal" 4.0-4.07 range up to 4.20+ bore.

Soo I have a question? When you remove all this extra casting do you induce stress into the block?
I know that some boring machines, when taking large amounts of metal, will do this Matt

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: MattW] #449300
12/13/09 01:19 PM
12/13/09 01:19 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Induce stress? not really. Are we taking some overall strength away? We have to be.... obviously the more material there is the stronger it will be.... but especially for a motor like this that will not really be making a ton of power, it's not an issue.

Reason you want a race block is because 1st & foremost they have very thick cyl walls... so we're not affecting that.

2nd reason, very thick decks, again no affect to that...

3rd fully filled in pan rails & main webbing. We just kiss the inside of pan rails a bit....

4th Race blocks, much higher nickle content block, if you ever hone a factory block & then hone an R3, will see drastic difference.

5th true 4 bolt main cap capability & again not affecting that at all.

6th, 48 degree lifter bore bank angle.... not affected.

We're just taking all the crap off these blocks that does not need to be there.... extra head bolt bosses, magnum motor mounts, Magnum crank sensor boss, fully filled in lifter valley, 59* lifter bosses etc.

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: RyanJ] #449301
12/13/09 01:42 PM
12/13/09 01:42 PM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Ron, Ryan, That is one Badazz project

It'll be tough to top Ron's old Demon, but i think you've done it! I remember that Blue car well. I met Ron the day he sold it at the Mopar Nats back in '05 IIRC.

Great info, guys!!

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/13/09 01:43 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: Streetwize] #449302
12/13/09 09:44 PM
12/13/09 09:44 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
When will you guys be finished? It started in August right?

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: Leon441] #449303
12/14/09 12:05 AM
12/14/09 12:05 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
The check I sent Ryan was dated 8-3-2009 and I overnighted it to him. I think it took about another week before he ordered the crank and that was the longest part to get. And that is the fastest billet crank I have ever heard of as far as time. The Crank took a little over 8 weeks plus a week to ship back to him. I think he is getting ready to ship my parts to me any day now. It would be a week minimum to get here and could easily be 2 or 3 weeks. Depending on who he uses.

My 474 R3 W9 Motor I built for the Demon took 9 months and I worked on it all the time (unless I was waiting for parts, that crank took 4 months).

5666493-FRONT.jpg (176 downloads)

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: Ron Silva] #449304
12/14/09 09:32 AM
12/14/09 09:32 AM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
I have the shortblock mocked up right now, I am going to have to hand grind some rod notches in the bottom of bores, the CNC stroker clearance notches don't quite clear 4.50" LOL That should be all that is left for the block, clearance it, wash it, cam bearing it....

Bearinsg have all been hand selected, the mains are a mix of H's & HXs to get clearances where I want. Off top of my head mains came out ~ .0028"-.003" Rods are in the .0022" range which is fine for a 2.0" steel rod journal.

Waiting on Custom Damper W/ integrated trigger wheel from ATI.... Hoping to have everything strapped to pallet & shipped next week. Truck freight will take about 1 week to CA. He should have it by new Years

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: Leon441] #449305
12/14/09 07:58 PM
12/14/09 07:58 PM
Mcallen, TX
SB449VALIANT Offline
pro stock
SB449VALIANT  Offline
pro stock

Mcallen, TX
Quote:

what??? it's that a new record Ryan?

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: SB449VALIANT] #449306
12/14/09 08:14 PM
12/14/09 08:14 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

Quote:

That's because I'm not assembling it..... LOL

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: RyanJ] #449307
12/14/09 08:21 PM
12/14/09 08:21 PM
Mcallen, TX
SB449VALIANT Offline
pro stock
SB449VALIANT  Offline
pro stock

Mcallen, TX
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's because I'm not assembling it..... LOL

Re: SILVALIANT 501 CI Small Block Under way.......... [Re: SB449VALIANT] #449308
12/14/09 08:23 PM
12/14/09 08:23 PM
Mcallen, TX
SB449VALIANT Offline
pro stock
SB449VALIANT  Offline
pro stock

Mcallen, TX
BTW flanges are here.... thanks!!!!

UH-Oh LOOK WHAT HAPPENED.......... [Re: SB449VALIANT] #449309
01/08/10 05:28 PM
01/08/10 05:28 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
I guess I have to stop acting like a Movie Director and stop giving orders.........."" MILL, DRILL.....NO!! CUT!!""

The rest is up to me..........wish me luck.

5721178-MVC-011F.JPG (232 downloads)

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Page 10 of 29 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 28 29